Henry Smith, Medfield, MA - 1743

Fig. 1 - (c) 2010 Marian Pierre-Louis. All Rights Reserved

Here lies
ye body of Mr Henry
smith Dec[eased] Ap
ril 14 1743

Vine Lake Cemetery, Medfield, Massachusetts

Well, you'd think I was stalking Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings.  All of his ancestors keep turning up every where I look. The first hit I got on Mr. Henry Smith of Medfield was Randy's post on his "Smith Ancestors of Medfield and Dedham." 

Randy's page says that this Henry Smith (I'm sure there are countless many) was born 16 December 1680 in Medfield and died as indicated above.  It also mentions that Henry married Ruth Barber 01 September 1730, also in Medfield. 


"He was a selectman and held other offices in the town [Medfield]. He was married February 20, 1703, to Deborah Pratt, who was born 1684, daughter of John and Rebecca (Colburn) Pratt. She died August 5, 1706, and he was married (second), March 4, 1708, to Mary Adams. She was born August 4, 1681, daughter to Jonathan and Mary (Ellis) Adams, and died February 23, 1725. Henry Smith was married (third) September 1, 1730, to Ruth Barber, who was born March 5, 1696, daughter of Zachariah and Abigail (Ellis) Barber. His children were: Daniel, Mary, Henry, Jonathan, Sarah, Benoni, Ruth, Moses and Asa."

Note: I have not independently verified this information

Comments

  1. Please stalk some more!!! Do you want a list? I'm sure that I have many more buried in Medfield! I really have to get there sometime.

    Genealogy blogs work really great, don't they?

    The Medfield book by Tilden says of Henry:

    "Henry Smith settled in the south-east part of the town, on what is now Plain Street. His father had land "on the way leading to Rock Meadow;" also, a "farther field" in the same locality, which was given to Henry. He married in 1703 Deborah Pratt, who died in 1706; second, in 1708, Mary Adams, who died in 1725; third, in 1730, Ruth Barber. He served on the board of selectmen in 1737; died in 1743."

    Thanks - can I copy the picture? And use it sometime with attribution?

    Cheers -- Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marina,

    In the tombstone transcription, I think I would have transcribed "ye" as "the", since the character "y" is actually a "thorn" representing the combination "th" rather than the letter "y".

    I have lots of New England relatives, but most immigrated to the US in the 20th century. Alas, I think all of my 17th or 18th century ancestors were buried in term graves in the old country and there are no traces of those graves left any more.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment